Monday, July 30, 2007

Open Doors - Open Arms

I am so excited about what God is doing at our church with our special needs ministry. We are really starting to see amazing thing happen. Our mission is to "Open the Doors" of ministry to children with special needs, leading them to the "Open Arms" of Jesus. So we have started a buddy system where we offer one on one assistance to those children who need it, our buddies provide direction and can help individualize the lessons for the kids who need additional help learning about Gods love and truth.

One story I just have to tell you is how one Dad came up to me after attending service with his wife, he had tears in his eyes and he told me that he had forgotten that his wife "sang like an angel" and how truly blessed they were to be able to worship together once again. It made me think of how much we take for granted, that we are able to sit in church on Sunday with our families to worship, pray and listen to Gods word together. This is another ministry where you think you can bless others, but where God turns it around and truly blesses you!

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Mark 10:14

Our Sovereign God made ALL children in HIS own image.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mothers womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139; 13&14

6 comments:

MelanieJoy said...

Hey Stacey,

This brings tears of JOY to my eyes. Our ministry is smaller but just as important I know. I think this ministry is fixing to catch on all over the place in the church...That is my prayer anyway. How wonderful is our God to give people the vision for these kids and their families.
Were I work our summer school is ending this week and Vacation Bible School started tonight and girl I'm sooooo tired. If you'll put me in your prayers- I'm adding you guys to mine.
May God continue to bless this new ministry and all of you "buddies"!!!
I'm going to hit the pillow and crash.

Angela Baylis said...

That is SO sweet! You guys are so fortunate to be a part of such an awesome Church! What a great reminder of the huge things God can do in the lives of all of His children!

pinkmommy said...

What an awesome ministry. My best friends' daughter has downs. I know she would love to have a ministry like this at church.

Justabeachkat said...

Whan a awesome ministry! It's one that I would love to be involved in. I haven't heard of a program like this around here, but I'll keep my ears open for one.

Hugs!
Kat

Jill said...

What a sweet story and a true blessing. Sometimes we forget the small, joyful gifts in our lives.

Shelly said...

Oh.....how tender.

I know the Lord is dancing in praise over you all involved in this. How His heart must be so blessed. I know it beats wildly over seeing you all minister in His Name to those just as in need as we ourselves are - maybe just in a different way!

Bless you sister.